Friday, March 28, 2008

The benefit of benefits....

Had a good show at the Bluebonnet Diner last night, even if I didn't manage to have any pie. (I keep forgetting that one of the Bluebonnet's major claims to fame is pie. How can one forget such an important fact? HOW?)

Anyway, the show featured students of our own professor of comedy, Jerry Caruso, including yours truly and a fellow alumna, Holly Givens (she has some wonderful new material on her wedding, which is great, since I missed it--and now feel a little caught up).

Anyway, two students of a very recent class performed and did well for their first time in front of a "real" audience--I mean they spoke, formed sentences, and had punchlines. That impresses the heck outta me. And one gal who had dropped from the scene for a while came back--and I was very glad to see and hear her material. She's got the quirky market cornered, indeed.

One newbie even interacted with the audience. I haven't had the nerve to do that yet (five years since graduation--or is it four?).

Best of all, around $750 was raised for the Cancer Connection, which is a very good cause. If one if going to have a bizarre avocation, it's great to have a bizarre avocation that can occasionally make money for good causes, no?

Was quite surprised and charmed to see some friends show up--and they offered some tremendous support re my gal Linda and her upcoming surgery. Well, offered up may not be the correct term--I asked them outright to think about Linda on the 1st, and they kindly complied.

In fact, I have been asking people all over to support her in any way they can, and have been offered thoughts, prayers, meditations and well wishes.

Hey--if it's positive, we'll take it. Anything and everything, cheerfully accepted! If it all helps Linda's surgery and recovery go well, then it's all been worth overriding my natural Midwestern inclination to not ask for help. (As it's not help for me, personally, it's a little easier--a flimsy loophole, but a loophole nonetheless.)

We're even dragging a Higher Authority into the mix, when this Sunday we become members of the Haydenville Congregational Church. Considering the prevailing views toward the likes of me and Linda in places of worship, joining a church was something I never thought I'd do. I thought I'd be spending the rest of my life in church basements, thank you, only darkening the door of sanctuaries for weddings and funerals.

So much for that.

Of course, I could just be becoming my mother, as women are wont to do. (She was an industrial-strength church lady, to put it mildly.)

If I find myself wanting to play bridge or join a Great Books club or even The Women's International League of Peace and Freedom, then I'll know I'm really on the road to Becoming Elaine....

Hey, if I've learned anything so far, it's this: You never know.

No comments: