Friday, May 27, 2005

A little sunshine today....

Though it didn't last, I saw some sunshine this afternoon while running errands in beautiful downtown Florence. I was grateful to see it, for if our local weather mavens are to be believed, it will be the last sun I will see this month. (Maybe next month, too.)

Not to worry, I'm not going to lapse into a sarcastic commentary on the use of the term "spring" to describe this time of year, tempting though it may be. Instead, I'm going to note that I applied for another couple of jobs today, bringing my grand total somewhere near 30 (I've had a few outright rejections so far, so am not sure whether to count those). Today's favorite application was for a news reporter post at my hometown paper. It may pay less (okay--a lot less) than what I make now, but it may be interesting--which is a lot more than I can say for some of the work I've done lo these many years for my shrinking publisher. Also got a follow-up letter from a university development job, so there's a little hope there, too.

Ran across a riot of a job on a media jobs site that entailed following crazed people on a trek across the desert for four to six weeks--the "reporter" would follow along in his/her RV, posting two articles a day on such vital topics as local microbrews (in the desert?!) and mushrooms (I kid you not) and beyond.

Yeah, not exactly a perfect job for a 45-year-old sober person (though I bet it wouldn't be hard to get people to sample beer for me), but it certainly was the most entertaining job prospect I've seen so far.

Elsewise, I've been kept busy going through all of the mail and other nonsense that accumulates on one's desk while away, and think I'm finally on top of it. Should be able to get back to work on my one remaining deadline next week. Altogether now: Woo!

Sorry. Didn't mean to let any sarcasm in this entry. Couldn't be helped.

Till next week, then.

No comments: