Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The whirlwind continues

Yesterday was a busy one--started the day with two big condolence hugs from my neighbor and optometrist, who was walking by with her gal when I was getting the Vibe Shwea-ready. Had an appointment with a plumber in the Berkshires, but I didn't care--I'll take sweetness from another human being over timeliness any day of the week. Anyway, the plumber is almost always late.

Drove out to the cottage with the Bombshell to let the nice and just late enough (bless him) plumber in to shut it down for the season. This is about a month earlier than usual, but I would rather address this now while I have the time and before we have our first big frost and I get my pipe-freeze anxiety on in earnest. Besides, I can always go out there after the water's shut off, as long as I don't find myself with an overwhelming desire for a hot shower. (Shwea doesn't care as long as the fridge is working.)

Shwea had a good snooze on the way out, but couldn't get comfy because I kept walking around the wee house, finding medical-related things that needed to be added to the medical supply depot in the garage. Drove home with a bit more inventory and a nervous dog (she was afraid the I.V. pole was going to bonk her on the noggin', which it didn't). Stopped at Outlook Farms on the way in for some good dog biscuits for my pup (nothing like a good distraction, say I) and ended up buying a bag of cider donuts for myself (ditto).

Made lunch for Shwea then myself, then headed out to meet the Phantom (Karen) for a ride in her two-person canoe. We practically had the lake at the DAR to ourselves, with some chatty ducks and a golden retriever who kept darting in and out of the woods our primary company. Later some fishermen appeared in a small row boat, but that was about it. We talked as we paddled, and it was a sweet way to spend some time in this week largely devoted to rest and renewal (or a reasonable facsimile).

Returned home to meet with Sita, who had another likely candidate for the hydraulic loo (the first home wasn't a fit, alas) and who also offered a hug, cherry tomatoes from their garden and other delightful food bits--even baklava from St. Louis! Her dog Brava then gave me a quick sloppy stealth kiss (her specialty) and off they went.

Dinner was back at Sky and Karen's house, and it was so good to see them without needing to bother Sky for an explanation of a medical issue. We just talked and ate and listened to their cats howl. Linda was a major topic of conversation, and that was just fine with me. She, like the "angles," will be hovering 'round for a long, long time, and that's a tremendous comfort.

Lest I forget, they also sent me home with a lovely tin of Sky's chocolate chip cookies. Comfort, indeed.

Still, there's a lot of "stuff" I need to deal with. Today I finally found the phone number for Linda's private disability insurer, and got them working on the paperwork for closing that account down. Also spoke to Linda's mechanic, who is giving her car a once-over so I can sell it in good conscience. Thing is, he reported he's compiling a long list of things for us to discuss tomorrow, so I'm beginning to worry that I might be better off donating it to that car charity they're always promoting on Car Talk. Yikes!

But I also got the paperwork together for Linda's private life insurance and mailed that off, and the Post Office graciously accepted a mailer with a big box of sharps in it, too. (Still have more to get rid of, but that was a good start.) And I'm meeting with a CPA on Friday to help me address my mounting math/tax anxiety.

So, I'm getting things done; there's more to do, but nothing that's going to turn me into a very large, cookie-filled pumpkin.

Now I'm getting ready to take the Bombshell for her nightly stroll, and am surprised at how dark it is already. When fall falls, it doesn't mess around, eh?

No comments: