Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Closing up my caregiver shop

I've been away from this site for a while, largely because I was spending what spare time I had for Internet nonsense posting on CaringBridge. If you're not familiar with the site, consider yourself fortunate--it's a site dedicated to people challenged with serious illness. It's a one-stop shop for people who want to keep concerned friends and family updated on their (or a family member's) treatment's progress (or lack thereof). It was a goddess-send, for it allowed me to keep everybody in the proverbial loop re my gal Linda, without having to make countless phone calls or e-mails, retelling the same tale over and over again.

Well, as you may already know, Linda was gathered to God (my favorite way of putting this) on Friday, Sept. 4. She left in peace, which was a miracle, considering how long she resisted the reality of her situation. From her diagnosis in April of 2008 to about a week before her death, she was planning on getting well. But after a frightening fall, she finally accepted her prognosis, and then devoted her remaining time and energy to preparing for what's next. She succeeded brilliantly, from what I could see, and left this earth as ready as anyone could be, leaving love and forgiveness in her wake.

What a gift Linda was, contrary underwear and all.

So now, I'm working on recovering from my months as a caregiver and trying to wrap up Linda's affairs as best I can. I won't be back at work for a couple more weeks, and that's just fine by me (and them, too, most likely). My life is changing at a rapid rate, and I have no idea what my "new normal" will be, and probably won't for a good while.

But I will try to record what develops here, as best I am able. We shall see, eh?

No comments: