Monday, September 21, 2009

One week till work!

Enjoyed Jennifer's show at PACE on Saturday night, but how could I not? Each comic had a unique spin on existence, and but for a little Crocs-bashing, I enjoyed them all tremendously.

Seriously, I don't understand the fuss about Crocs. Flip-flops are far less protective and supportive, but few people get their knickers publicly in a knot over them. True, I've come to be a Crocs fan late in their run (fashion trends and Ann Podolske rarely coincide--actually, they never coincide), but found them perfect for all of those times during my caregiver days that I had to throw on shoes fast, not to mention tidy up after things that one wouldn't want to get on one's "regular" shoes. Now that I'm mostly keeping company with a big, clumsy dog, I find they continue to make sense--slobber and stomp away, Shwea, I'm wearing protective shoes I can wash!

Oh dear. I'm spending my time defending my choices in footwear. This can't be good.....

Anyway, back to actual events. Yesterday, I went to church--late, as has unfortunately become my custom--and enjoyed the company of my church peeps immensely. Hugs and sweetness all around--what's not to love? Then headed home to tend the Bombshell, eat lunch and nap, which has also become a custom (and one I'll have to wean out of this week, as work beckons next Monday).

Last night, I went to the local multiplex and finally saw "Julie & Julia" (or is it the other way around?), which was a light bit of fun. Perhaps not as fun as I expected, but considering my innate sadness these days and how much I've already heard about the movie, it makes sense that I wasn't exactly transported. That said, Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were a joy to watch, just for being their fabulous selves. Another benefit of this excursion to the movies was seeing a trailer for yet another Meryl Streep film, "It's Complicated." Looks like a winner to me, but then with the Goddess Meryl at the center, how could it not? Perhaps I will go to this movie with friends--but for now, I go to such events worrying that I could start to cry and not stop, and don't want to put my friends through this, especially at a movie that's ostensibly a comedy.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'm not taking any chances.

Today was a late-starting day, but I'm happy to not have to be anywhere or do anything but tend Shwea and rest while it lasts. Well, and write a few more thank-yous. And do some more laundry, which is a never-ending task.

With all this glamour and excitement at hand, I think I will be ready to get back to work when I actually have to next Monday. Seriously, I miss my work friends, and I look forward to being preoccupied with things that don't matter, really. I appreciate the perspective the last 17 months has brought to bear on my world-view, don't get me wrong, but I am looking forward to thinking about things that bear little resemblance to what preoccupies me now.

Besides, I have to pay for my belated 50th birthday present to myself somehow. Yes, I followed Linda's footsteps in buying a car to denote my half century mark, though certainly not as cool a car as she purchased (a Mazda Miata). I toyed with the idea of a Mini Cooper S, but thanks to Linda's urging, I test drove and bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid. It's a hoot (for me) to drive, which may be explained by my current wheels: A Pontiac Vibe. And while my Fusion is a hybrid, it doesn't look like a Pious--I mean Prius--which I never quite liked the looks of, truly. Lastly, it's luxurious, at least compared to a Vibe, as it has leather seats, a navigation system, and more.

Well, I've gone from nattering on about shoes to a car, so I think I should stop for the sake of just about everyone. Besides, it's past time to feed Shwea, who has been ever-so-patiently waiting for me to finish this post. All good, A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wear my purple crocs and white socks (very comfy with athletic socks) with tremendous pride.

also this year- i'm buying a pair of short ugg boots (i have thick calves) and no one is stopping me.

stand united with me

Andrea Henry

Anonymous said...

White socks and purple crocs is one of my favorite croc combo platters!

Croc on, Andrea, croc on!

As for Uggs, my Linda was a BIG fan, and wore hers just about everywhere.

United? You bet!

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the late to fashion trend. Why is it by the time I get to liking it - I can't find it because it is 'out of style.'

:-) Kathy B.