Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Making progress...

I am feeling pretty good about the fact that I (1) had a nap yesterday and (2) was still able to sleep (almost) through the night. After over 10 days of waking up feeling mostly like something Shwea deposits in the backyard, I felt almost/nearly/sort of rested this morning. (Yes, my expectations for myself are what one could call modest--world dominion can wait.)

Anyway, today I am preparing for tomorrow's meeting with someone at my attorney's office, to get the ball rolling on settling Linda's estate. She cautioned me that such things can take a year, which is fine with me--I have promised myself to not make any major decisions for at least 12 months, so we're all copacetic. Am also beginning to write out "Thank yous" for flowers and donations and what-all. This could take a while, for people have been very, very generous where my gal is concerned.

Did figure out when I think I'll be up for returning to work--Monday, Sept. 28. As long as the short-term disability (STD) application goes through. Though I'd probably take the time even if it weren't paid for, as Big Company is overwhelming on a good day, and I am not in the "good day" frame of mind quite yet.

Speaking of STD, I was taken aback by the diagnosis my dear doctor has given yours truly's predicament for the benefit of the insurance company: "Acute situational depression/grief." I guess "recent widow" just isn't descriptive enough, eh?

Yesterday, I decided to face facts and had the lawn service guys weed the entire yard. Contemplating the bumper weed crop in our yard made me tired, so I just said "Off with their heads!" Linda was the avid gardener in the family, which I attribute to her being a city girl for much of her life. Me, I grew up in an agricultural mecca, so perhaps I think it's all too much like the labor of my ancestors. Whatever, I am out of the farming business for the foreseeable, with one possible exception (see below), and am quite relieved about it.

Today, our friend and neighbor Dee is coming by to help me figure out what to do with the plants we were given in the past two weeks. Plant them? Keep them watered until they yell "Uncle!"? I know so little about such things, I thought I should call in an expert, and he is it. Well, I feel another nap coming on (you may too, pardon me), so close I should. All good, Ann

2 comments:

PJ said...

One day at a time...I know you know that.

Wanted you to know I will continue to check on you and will be stopping by.

Take good care...

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying following your blog. Thinking of you everyday.
Kathy B.