Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lessons learned.....

Had a great time at the Girls!Girls!Girls! (and a guy) comedy show last night, and wish I could have stayed around to congratulate the comics. Alas, our recovering pooch Linus was making odd coughing sounds when we left for the show, so we hurried home as soon as Jennifer closed her set--and what a great set it was! (Podiatry and childlessness = hilarity--who'd a thunk?)

Linus was fine, of course.

During yesterday's comedy confab, Jennifer and I discussed the fact that people have told her that both being in a relationship and having a baby are crucial to a full, rich life, for they help one learn so much about oneself. While I'll leave Jennifer's reactions to those assertions to her comedic genius (and she's already crafted a winner from the baby side of this equation), they led me to think that 13 years into my long-term relationship, I have learned things about myself I could have lived without knowing, truth be told.

For one thing, being in a relationship has taught me what a petty, hyper-sensitive grudge-muffin I can become.

That's almost as encouraging as what I learned from my colonoscopy last year--that my colon is fine, but it's twisted. For this, I had to have a camera pushed up my bucket?

Harrumph!

I'm sure there are many more lessons than these in my past and future, and I will strive to report on them for your viewing pleasure.

But for now, I must get back to my laundry and balancing my checking account--to paraphrase the Carpenters, "Rainy days and Sundays always get me down...."

No comments: