Friday, September 16, 2005

There's hope, after all

My friend Tom, whom I have known since high school (!), has a son who just started college in Cleveland, OH. He told me a story about said son that just--well, it was the perfect antidote to the Christian Crackpot poison circulating in my system earlier today. The story:

"[The son's name] told me that he found one person at school who was willing to go out for sushi. [He] said that one of his suite mates said: “[Son's name], I think the guy is gay.” [He] replied you have an amazing grasp of the obvious but what difference does his orientation make to you or me. The suite mate persisted by saying “”Do you want people to think you're gay?” [He] replied (maybe not the most articulate reply) 'I don’t give a rat’s ass if anybody thinks less of me because I have a friend who is gay. But I’ll tell you this, I certainly would think twice about having that narrow minded person for a friend.' I told [my wife] that we must have instilled some good values in our child. Not only is he pretty liberal, he is not afraid to stand up for his views. By the way, I understand that the sushi was just so-so. Imagine that, I thought people went to Cleveland specifically for the sushi."

What's not to love about that? A story that gives one hope for our nation's future and a crack about Cleveland--a win-win!

Thanks, Tom!

No comments: