Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Riding the rails....

Wednesday/tomorrow, I head back to Gotham, my former Home Sweet Home, for business. Nothing but business.

The less said the better (right, Dooce?).

Anyway, I am glad for the break in the administrative assistant action, as well as for the time to just sit and think and write on the train. It's my favorite way to travel, bar none--unless there are several cell phone addicts aboard, then I spend my time wondering when public shame was removed from the collective consciousness.

One time, I was riding down to NYC, and we stopped for the usual engine switch in New Haven. Well, there was a young woman on board who had obviously never taken the trip before, for as soon as the power went out, she called someone on the phone and said so we all could hear (it's soooo quiet when the engines shut off, it's almost hold-your-breath quiet...well, for me), "You won't believe where I am--completely in the dark!"

I, for one, doubt her friend was surprised at this news, but that's on the order of mean. Sorry. Must get to bed and rest, for I may be (1) fighting for what's left of my job tomorrow, (2) learn that resistance is futile, or (3) find a way to get more work.

Won't tell you which I'm betting on.....I've been wrong too many times to count.

And lest I forget, I just want to tell the Universe that I am very grateful that I can still become a wreck nervosa when qualifying before a room full of my people. Someone once told me that nerves are proof I'm being honest, but I take it as a sign I'm still not bored with my recovery and the miracle it represents--that means the world.....

No comments: