Sunday, September 11, 2005

A haus frau's lament

Well, the house is clean once again, and no animals were hurt, maimed, or otherwise abused in the process. So far so good.

Our best and biggest house plant, however? Well, that's another story.

I was trying to go around the corner where said house plant rests atop a stand, when suddenly Butler, the ancient/addled cat who will outlive us all, managed to put himself right in front of my moving foot.

I'm at a loss as to how to explain how that happened. One minute, the aged furball was sunning himself on the floor in the living room, the next minute, he was in the hall, trying to see if he could trip the cleaning lady.

That would be me.

Well, I barely missed stepping on the old codger; unfortunately, I could not manage to do that without jerkily taking the vacuum with me.

The vacuum cord got twisted up with the plant stand somehow, and gravity, that constant bastard, did the rest.

What a mess!

Of course, it was a section I had already cleaned quite thoroughly. And if there's anything I hate more than cleaning, it's cleaning something over right after I've already cleaned it. I mean, except my hands and other necessary exceptions (you know what I mean). What a waste of time!

Worse, I even had to get the hideously noisy wet/dry vac out, for potting soil is a moist business, and had worked its way thoroughly into the rug. Not only that, the pot the plant was in broke into pieces, and it managed to put a few more scratches/dents in the wood floor--a nice complement to the dents/scratches the dogs already put in, I must say, but we weren't really looking for a more "distressed" look. We've got it now!

I have cleaned the house many times since April, and this is the first time I've had to deal with cat interference. Of course, Linda was around to hear the commotion (if not see the actual event), and is convinced that if I had just been a little more careful, all could have been averted.

Thanks, Sweetie!

Was already feeling a little down on myself today, and this did not help. (Not only can she not get a job in her field, she can't manage a little mindless housekeeping without breaking something. Vot an idiot!)

But I will rally, once I take a shower and make the bed. There's little like the prospect of fresh, clean sheets to perk this gal up--no, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't take much.

And the house is clean, even if it is shy one house plant.

No comments: