Thursday, May 25, 2006

Am glad the weekend is nigh...

This has been a WEEK, I tell you. Met the second job's deadline (whew!) and was offered a spot in the Laughing Liberally show in Boston next month (details to come). And I fought off a cold (which might have just been a serious sinus reaction to ALL THE DAMN GRASS).

I'm allergic, okay? So while I welcome spring, there are consequences. This time of year, my nasal passages feel as though they're lined with steel wool, and I always know where my next tissue is coming from. Anything less wouldn't be prudent.

On the good news side, I also wrote a very satisfying letter to my elected officials, for apparently of all the burning issues threatening our dear country right now, keeping carpet munchers and fudge packers from marrying each other is #1 on the MUST STOP THEM IMMEDIATELY list for many people. A minority of people, if the polls are right, but what a persuasive bunch of puddin'heads. They've got Congress working on an amendment to the Constitution as we speak, even though you would think they'd have their hands full with immigration "reform," skyrocketing oil and health care costs, the war in Iraq, the threat of war with Iran, and protecting the rights of small-potatoes congressmen from having their offices searched by the FBI (a case of honor among thieves if I ever saw one).

Sigh.

While on the topic of puddin'heads, there was a hate crime in Northampton recently in which vandals scratched "FAG" into the hood of a lesbian couple's car.

Now really--are these people TRYING to look extra STUPID? Bigotry is dumb to begin with, but scratching "FAG" in the hood of a lesbian couple's car is rather like calling an Irishman a "WOP," a Jew a "MICK" and an Italian a "KIKE," if you get my drift. (More of an avalanche--sorry, I was on a roll.)

Such words are insults and hateful, true, but addressed TO THE WRONG MINORITY GROUP? They're just CONFUSING. Or perhaps MORONIC.

So, homophobes, please do me a favor: If you're going to engage in hate speech, try to be a little less D-U-M-B about it, okay? I'll make it easy for you: Girls = dykes; boys = fags. Got it?

Bigotry and imprecise speech--what a knicker-twisting combo!

Oh, and those of you who aren't of the homophobic persuasion (and you are legion, bless you) will love this. The neighbors of the lesbian and her partner who endured the idiotic hate crime? A bunch of them put rainbow flags up on their porches, as a sign of solidarity.

Goddess, I love this town....

No comments: