Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pride goeth before the fall....

Just the other day, I was thinking about how remarkably healthy I've been, considering all of the cold sufferers in my midst in the marble halls at Big Company. We've had a regular "1812 Overture" of sneezes and coughs in my department this week, thanks in part to it being busy season and in part to people not having the sense God gave geese. (We can work from home now, people. It's company policy, for pity's sake.)

The second I thought that, I also thought, "Crap, now you've done it. You're going to get sick." Then I tried to think positively, starting a mantra along the lines of, "I am healthy and free of all sickness."

So much for that.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in the marble halls and found myself having what felt like a major allergy attack. Alas, it was the sudden onset of a head cold, and I stayed home today, spending many hours decimating my household Kleenex population.

One of the many implications of this cold is that I may be out of a chunk of change, as I had reserved a room in a nice B&B in Provincetown this weekend. If you're familiar with the cancellation policies of B&Bs in Provincetown, you know that they require much more lead time (21 days, in my case) for cancellations than a cold allows.

Sigh.

I asked the proprietors of the B&B to see if they could find a new tenant for the weekend. Here's hoping! (If you are suddenly compelled to go to Ptown, allow me to recommend the room called "Three Sisters" at the White Porch Inn. It's a beaut!)

Of course, I could feel all better by tomorrow. It could happen. Maybe?

This appears to be a week for such things. On Tuesday, I had a plumber over to fix the outside faucet that wouldn't shut off, and he found that the main shutoff valve for the entire house didn't work. In a word: Yikes! So, the City and the plumber are coming back tomorrow to fix that.

Ain't we got fun?

Also on Tuesday, my monitor went black. It had been flickering here and there, but it went really, truly black. So, I called the local techies I like (Tech Cavalry), and one of their guys came by. The monitor was beyond fixing, alas, and I had to buy a new one.

You can't say I'm not doing my part for the local economy.

Well, I think it's now getting close to time to go back to bed, in the hopes I can coax this cold right outta my carcass in time for the weekend.

Doubtful, but a gal can dream, can't she? Hope you're all well (but don't gloat about it!) and happy. Love, Ann and the Bombshell (who asked me to add that she is very happy her person stayed home today instead of going to work).

3 comments:

Trevor said...

"thanks ... in part to people not having the sense God gave geese" made me laugh out loud, Ann.

Anonymous said...

That phrase was one of my father's absolute favorites, so your laugh is really thanks to George Podolske, not yours truly. May we all be making people laugh 10 years after we slip the mortal coil, eh?

PJ said...

If i were not on the other coast, I would certainly take that room off your hands. Peg and I have always wanted to visit there.

Just checking in..hope you feel better soon.

Pj...