Sunday, October 18, 2009

Another multi-day post of preposterous proportion

My, I have been busy. (Warning: Am going to try to remember what's been going on from memory, so odds are good something will be lost/mangled in the shuffle.)

Wednesday night I went to a farewell dinner for a colleague who was "reorganized" out of a job. Was very touched to see how many people came from the office to bid her adieu.


Have been "reorganized" in the past, so have much compash for my former cohort. She's doing her own revival of the Unsinkable Molly Brown, bless her heart, and I am sure that attitude will serve her well in the months to come. (If she's even footloose and fancy free that long.)


Thursday night was the caregiver support group, which I am still attending. Began to wonder early in the meeting this Thursday whether I should still be part of it, but by meeting's end I was able to offer some helpful info to a couple of the newbies in the group, so maybe I am being of service. It helps me to listen to everyone, to bear witness and to think, "Linda had that happen, too," or "I ran into the same thing with Dr. X," so I guess I'll keep going until they need my spot for someone else.


Friday during the day I had lunch with then sat with a friend at Baystate while her sweetie had a mastectomy. It was good to have a chance to babble (neatly keeping her preoccupied--slick, eh?) and to be able to do unto others as others have so kindly done unto me and my gal. Happily, the news from the surgeon was good, and I took notes for my friend as she made her post-op pronouncements (for if my experience is any indication, one cannot retain a thing said by someone who has operated on one's sweetie, particularly when she is still wearing her scrubs).

That night I did very little (if memory serves), and enjoyed sleeping in Saturday morning a lot. Shwea let me, too, which was mighty nice of her. After breakfast and Her Highness's walk were out of the way, I went after the no-longer-glorious morning glories in the front yard. Thanks to the bitter cold, their magnificent blooms and leaves had all wilted--over the shrubs in front of the house, over the "tepee" Linda bought expressly for their growing pleasure, and over the fence on the side of the yard (where the heart formed). It took some clipping and pulling, but I unearthed all of the dearly departed glories, put the fence back in an upright position, and now things look much nicer.

As I did this job, I found myself wondering if I was doing it "right" (i.e., how Linda would do it 8-). Linda has not been forthcoming, which I take as a good sign. If I was mucking things up terribly, she'd let me know somehow, of this I am certain.

Saturday afternoon I went to a coffee for Mayor Higgins, who is running for another two-year term (she's served 10 years altogether). Her opponent is running a rather thin campaign, but it's been fairly successful, for the mayor has been in office long enough to have P.O.'d a number of very vocal (and occasionally rude) people. She neatly debunked or thoroughly addressed all of the official criticisms of her work to date. Some of the unofficial arguments against the mayor are rather hilarious--one being that it's time to get rid of the queers in the mayor's office. Problem with that is her opponent is a gay man, which is something he's been very, very quiet about. Some of his supporters appear to be of the "Keep Your Government Hands Off My Medicare!" persuasion, so he's just being sensible, I suppose.

Saturday night I went with some friends to dinner and a GLBT international film festival at the high school (ah, if only my high school had such events...sigh). It was fun, if overlong (I was up well past 10:30--yikes!). Sunday I did manage somehow to get to church (late, of course), and enjoyed the service and my church family enormously. We added some new members today, which is always cheering, and very, very sweet.

This afternoon I took a ride out to the cottage to retrieve water cooler-size bottle of water I left out there for some strange reason. Good thing, for it was 30 degrees inside the cottage and it had begun to snow. Yes, snow. I swept all the leaves and slush off the deck, but otherwise just picked up the water and got out of there before the weather got even sillier. It's only about an hour away, but boy, the weather is different--and not in a good way this time of year. I also made a trip to the local outlet mall, as I can't help myself. Picked up some more work clothes, since I need to appear in the marble halls more often these days.

Now I must pack it up and move it out--it's getting late (for me), and tomorrow is Monday, alas. Before I close, I should note that tonight my friends Val and Joan made a very interesting proposition regarding vacationing together in early 2010, and it might fall under the heading of "What are you waiting for?!" Some details need to be worked out, but I will let you know if I take them up on their kind, kind offer. We shall see, sweeties! Love, Ann and the Snoring Wonderdog

No comments: