Friday, October 09, 2009

Ain't gonna study war no more, indeed

What a day this has been! The name-change issue is still up in the air with our friends at the [name unmentioned for fear they'll post again--that was a little spooky] cable company, but I managed to have a good day of work anyway.

Just got back from joining Karen and Sky at a--get this--Holly Near concert in town. Am so glad I said "Yes" to this notion. At 60, Holly's voice is even better than I remember it (though don't ask me when I last heard her), and she is a wonderfully accessible performer. To top it all off, she has a good sense of humor, so we were all charmed, I'm sure. (Of course we were; the room was 99.4% dykesaurus.)

And I only cried once, which was far better than I thought I'd do (I cried at a "Retire Well" seminar at work this week when the word "spouse" was trotted out one time too many for my comfort, for pity's sake). With this recent history, I worried that a Holly Near concert would be a veritable minefield of Kleenex opportunity. The killer was when she asked how many women in the audience were married, and I found myself on the horns of a dilemma. Linda and I were married, true, but we're not technically married any more, if I recall the "till death us do part" business correctly. That said, I still feel married, which is why I'll be wearing my civil union/wedding ring for a good while.

Seeing my discombobulation at this query, Karen and Sky were kind enough to pat me and hand me a tissue. Such sweet peas, those two!

Now I'm back home, listening to Shwea snore (how unusual, eh?), and it sounds just wonderful. Might be joining her soon, and should, as I may be heading off on a wee adventure tomorrow. Have a little catch in my throat, though, so I'm going to wait and see how I feel in the morning. Am hoping it's just due to allergies, my mini-weep and/or my singing along with Holly (it can't be helped).

We shall see...

No comments: