Thursday, December 21, 2006

To Sir With Disdain....

Thinking of writing a letter to Mitt Romney. He's supposedly my governor, but recent events suggest he's only the governor of straight people. Straight, homophobic people, that is.

I realize he's running for president, and running for office makes otherwise reasonable people do unreasonable things. This I understand. But it sure doesn't make me happy to hear he's leading rallies to whip the populace up into an anti-gay frenzy.

Well, fooey on him. May he and his campaign enjoy the success they so richly deserve....

Sorry, I had a nice young-sounding lesbian from a GLBT-friendly group call me today to solicit funds for her organization, and even though she was fighting the good fight and all that, she was discouraged. She had been to a number of Mitt's anti-gay rallies, and well, the people just bummed her out (my words, not hers). "They were so mean, and they brought their children," she told me.

Nothing like seeing a small child holding a sign saying, "God Hates Fags" to show one the power of God's love.

But I digress...

I tried to give her a little pep talk about how misguided and fearful these poor souls were, but I realized I wasn't really making a dent in her despair. In her work, she's just up against it all the time, and I'm living in nice, safe and sequestered Northampton, where the homophobes are few and viewed with pity and contempt.

As it should be, of course.

Maybe I did help a little. We somehow got on the topic of Wisconsin, and how it was too bad that the Cheeseheads passed their own "anti-gay" initiative this past election. I told her that I wasn't surprised, but that things were changing--as witnessed by all of the rainbow stickers I saw on cars in my home town of about 11,000. She had been to Wisconsin and had an idea of what that meant.
So, there's hope, or something like it.

Still, my mood is dour, but considering I had the first part of a root canal this morning, I'm not surprised. It was simply dreadful, largely because the tooth was a touchy creature, and regular shots of Novocain were required to keep me from leaping from the chair. It still hurts, but regular handfuls of ibuprofen are helping, and I can only hope that this was the worst phase of the process.

If you know differently, please allow me my denial.

Now I must go walk the dogs. In the dark. Woo!

No comments: