Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry what-have-you!

Well, this is one of the oddest Christmases on record, if only because it's December 25 and we haven't had a hint of snow. As a result, even though we exchanged gifts and have consumed enough baked goods to sink a tanker, it's beginning to feel a lot like something, but Christmas, it ain't.

It probably doesn't help that Linda and I have been glued to LOGO--the all-gay all-the-time cable station--all weekend. Even though I live in the most lesbian of lesbianvilles, I still can't get enough entertainment with GLBT written all over it. It reminds me of the time we saw the Bill T. Jones and Artie Zane dance troupe at the Academy of Music, and found ourselves blubbering over a romantic duet performed by two women. We had never seen ourselves reflected in dance before, and it was the most moving dance we had ever seen.

Not that I'm bah-humbugging the Season, mind you, it's just been a subdued holiday. I have nothing to complain about on the gift front: Santa and Linda were very good to me this year, and as soon as I figure out the new camera Linda bought me, I'll provide pictures of some of my favorite goodies. The camera is amazing--my former camera was an enormous early-edition digital from the late '90s that used floppies, for pity's sake, so the sleek Coolpix I now have in my possession is a revelation.

Far too cool for the likes of me, but it will just have to cope. Poor little Coolpix, not attached to a sleek Russian tennis player, but a large, middle-aged dykesaurus who won't use 1/36th of your features. Life's like that, eh?

Happily, Linda enjoyed her gifts muchly, especially the little electronic surprise I foisted upon her, an iPod Nano. I thought she had dropped hints the size of boulders regarding this gift and expected a little iPod action this holiday, but she was genuinely surprised. What a hoot!

You have no idea how rare it is for me to pull anything like a surprise off with this woman--she had 90% of her 50th birthday presents figured out weeks before the event, including a hot air balloon ride. The only surprise? I had a chauffeur-driven '50s era Cadillac drive us to and from dinner.

Yes, one must go the extra mile when living with someone who was a private detective in a past life....or simply hyper-vigilant in this one.

The gift that hasn't arrived yet, however, is the most eagerly awaited. An answer to the alarming decline in our dear Linus' ability to walk. His rear legs have become unreliable, and increasingly so. We have an appointment with an alternative vet next week who has worked wonders with dogs in similar binds, and are hoping he'll be able to do the same for our Sonny Boy.

I must take comfort from the fact that our Shwea woke up unable to walk a year or so ago, and is now running around like a lunatic. Just needed to lose some weight and take a better grade of glucosamine, and she was good as new.

We just have to hope that a similar answer awaits for Linus, and we find it soon.

Now, I must go exercise--I have expanded my horizons beyond all reason in the past few months, and as I have no money left for a brand-new wardrobe, I'd better work it, as dear Ru Paul used to say....

No comments: