Sunday, February 26, 2006

Don't blink, you'll miss it!

That's how I feel about weekends since I started working in the 9-5 world (really 9-6, but don't get me started). I can't believe it's Sunday afternoon, and all I have to show for the weekend is two pairs of shoes (they are quite nice, though) and memories of a fabulous movie.

The movie? "Transamerica." Can I recommend it enough? Doubtful--but you're missing the most wonderful array of one-liners in years if you miss this film! (And Felicity Huffman is perfection in her role.) Only thing about the movie I didn't quite get--the therapist. She seemed a little too controlling for her patient's own good.

But then, without a controlling therapist, where would the plot have come from?

Anyway, this weekend is flying by, and I haven't even washed all my workaday clothes yet. Glory!

Of course, we also had a little more excitment than we bargained for yesterday. Our shepherd mix Linus had an odd growth on his noggin', so we brought him to the vet for a look-see. Turns out it was just a skin tag, something I have in abundance (is it the German in us both that causes these hideous flaps to appear? Ugh!). While we were at it, we had him tested for everything he gets tested for each spring and get his shots, so he's a legitimate member of canine society. It took over an hour and a half for all of this to occur (he's a sensitive soul as well as huge, so the vet techs took their time with him), so that cut into our weekend a bit.

But it is wonderful to know he's okay--and the vet said he's in very good shape for a dog his age. If only the same could be said for his human, Ann. Alas....

On other fronts, am a little ashamed to admit a NYC friend e-mailed me to check in and see how we were doing, and mentioned her political protests of late--and I had none to offer in return. Not even a hopped-up letter to the editor, for pity's sake. Since I began working, I feel lucky to have the gumption for a little comedy, but hope that I will soon have the energy to do more than just suit up, show up, and stand up.

But, so I feel a little better about the state of my political soul, allow me to share the wonderful opening sentence to my latest favorite must-read article from Common Dreams News Center, "What It Means to Be a Republican," by Larry Beinhart:

"The vice president shoots you in the heart and in the face. Then you apologize for all the trouble it's caused him. That's what it means to be a Republican."

It gets better--or worse, I suppose, depending on your view. Must admit, it all makes me glad I'm not a Republican--but considering how lame the Democratic Party has become, I'm not sure I'm a Democrat, either.

Just a garden-variety pinko lezzie, I suppose.

No comments: