Tuesday, January 15, 2008

For the Linda archives....

My own Ms. Malaprop now has two horse-themed misstatements to her name. To wit:

1) Don't look a gift horse in the house.
2) That was the horse that broke the camel's back.

I anxiously await the third, so I can add it to my "Linda segment" that she has been lobbying so heavily for--yes, yes, be careful what you wish for, indeed.

Now, I don't speak with the precision of a Henry Higgins, say, but Linda makes me feel positively erudite. But when I'm not sure of a quote, I do the rising inflection business--you know, the question-mark-in-the-voice trick--to show my lack of confidence in my speech. Linda, on the other hand, speaks with authority no matter what, and so one hears the mangle, but doesn't quite believe his or her ears.

A talent, that.

1 comment:

elteegee said...

I still tease a friend who, in high school, once said "Don't beat a dead horse in the mouth."