Saturday, July 15, 2006

Well, it was something

I'm happy to report that my letter to the editor appeared in today's paper. I'm unhappy to report that they cut the last paragraph--apparently, it's okay for some folks to suggest that others should be denied rights, but to suggest that such folks are tyrants for wanting to deny said rights is going too darn far.

Lilly-livered lightweights!

Don't have a copy of the letter that inspired my missive around, but methinks one can easily glean the gist from my retort. I have deleted the name of the author just in case that old saw "Any publicity is good publicity" is true for bigots as well as entertainers.

The letter:

Dear Editor:

As a long-time voter who was born and raised in the U.S. and has lived here most of my life, I do have to wonder what “people” your correspondent [insert your favorite homophobe here] was referring to in his letter, “Let state’s voters decide on same-sex marriages.”

I take exception to his assumption that the “people” do not include lesbians and gays. We certainly do—and I have the passport and tax records to prove it.

“Of the people, by the people, and for the people” is fairly comprehensive, though [Mr. Homohater] apparently reads “people” as only “people like me.” That’s rather missing the point. Perhaps [Mr. Hates the Light-in-the-Loafers Set] has a different copy of these treasured documents than I, for nowhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights do I see a footnote along the lines of, “Does not apply to gays and lesbians.”

In crafting our great nation, our founders recognized that majority rule has its limits (history is full of examples, as is today’s news). As I understand it, the judiciary plays a key part in the process of checks and balances, reining in the majority when it takes actions that are contrary to the spirit and intent of the Constitution. While he may not like their decision, the judges of the Supreme Judicial Court were doing their job—reminding people like [Mr. Blinded-By-the-Right] that people like me are citizens with rights, too.

What the paper cut:

Like many Americans, my ancestors came to this country for the promise of freedom, most particularly to be spared the tyranny of the majority religious or political system in their former homelands. They would be saddened indeed to learn that thanks to people like your correspondent, tyranny is alive and well in America, too.

Can't you just hear the "Star Spangled Banner"? Or is it, "We Are Family"?

No comments: