Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A quick change in comic fortunes

While I had plenty o' nuthin' on my comedy calendar two days ago, I now have been invited to participate in two upcoming shows, and am thrilled to pieces at the prospect.

It's too soon for details (don't want to hex them), but they'll be appearing on my website when the time is right (one show is in September, the other in October--so there's time, for heaven's sake).

Got through a rough patch at work, and I am a little ashamed to note that I was so worried about what was going to happen that I prayed about it. I know one is not supposed to pray for things, but one can pray for the ability to do better than one's worst instincts might demand.

Can't one? A gal can pray not to have a grand mal hissy, can't she?

Right or wrong, it appeared to have worked, for all of the drama I expected did not unfold. It's grand when that happens, isn't it?

On other fronts, Outlook on my PC at home is balking at the task of retrieving my e-mail. I don't have the time to spend on a "do it yourself" approach right now (my last deadline for my second job looms), so am going to just retrieve my e-mail via the Web and let the chips fall where they may.

Tired old Microsoft. Tired old software. Maybe my next computer should be a Mac?

On other fronts, I hear that the Mass. Legislature didn't get around to the anti-gay marriage ballot initiative today, and we'll have to wait to read all about the insults hurled at the likes of me and mine some other time.

Yeah, I can wait.

Want to know when these darn "homophobic" people are going to quit sponging off the queers and quit trying to get something (our tax dollars) for nothing (or very little). A bunch of freakin' freeloaders, that's what they are! I put "homophobic" in quotes, for I think this is largely a political show, brought to you by the demagogues at the RNC (Really Nasty Sonsabitches, aka the Republican Party). Nothing like a little gay-baiting to take peoples' minds off what is really going wrong....

Am also seeing parallels between my dog Linus and the homophobic population. Now don't get me wrong--Linus is a dear boy, and a marvelous beast with a beautific nature 99.5% of the time. But when the clouds start to rumble and the lightening bolts jut down from the sky, he loses his cool. He pants, he paces, he tries to paw open the door to the closet and bathroom--it's a display.

If you're in the sad situation of trying to sleep while this is going on, you can forget it. He wakes me up whenever this happens, as if to say, "What are you doing? How can you sleep at a moment like this?! We need to all get into the closet where it's safe--with the shoes!"

Linus' reaction to summer storms is very much like a homophobes reaction to gays. It far exceeds any real threat to his safety, and it causes him to do things that are out of character--not his best self, by any means.

But the parallel ends when I think of the threats Linus and the homophobes face--Linus has a much greater chance of getting hit by lightening than I ever will of ruining some straight person's marriage.

But then again, that may not really be the point.....

No comments: