Monday, November 19, 2007

Retirement-planning on the cheap

Linda has been on sabbatical for about four weeks now, which means she has not been going to work.

Newsflash: She's enjoying being out of the Corporate realm very, very much.

Shocking, isn't it?

Since I work from home three days a week, this means we've had all sorts of time together that we didn't used to. A circumstance which, you can imagine, has its upsides as well as down. My favorite part of her sabbatical is that she is much happier, which is a very good thing. My second-favorite part has to be the opportunity it gives me to hear Linda say things, typically without any context, that just crack me up. Recent examples:

"I like cupcakes."
"I am sort of excited about the gutter guard."
"You never understand me sometimes."

That last quote suggests one of the downsides, for if there's something Linda loves, it's a project. When she was at work, she directed her project management skills on work-related issues to great effect; my concern is that now that she's at home, she may focus her formidable talents on home-related issues. In other words: Me.

I have no desire to be a homo-improvement project, mind you, and hope that the gutter guards or other exciting feature of our home grab her attention instead. Here's hoping!

One other charming (okay, and alarming) thing Linda has taken to doing is checking her retirement plans with the 8 Ball I have in our office. She's asking it, "Should I retire?" And the damn thing's been saying, "Yes."

I asked it myself, and it said the same thing. Even asked it if we'd have enough money, and it said, "Without a doubt."

It must know something I don't, but if this keeps up, I may soon be a sole breadwinner.

Yeah, I like the sound of that as much as I like the idea of being a homo-improvement project, but let's just wait and see.

Besides. I like cupcakes, too.

No comments: