Sunday, October 07, 2007

Good night at The Studio

Last night's show at The Comedy Studio was a success, and this gal needed that. During the day yesterday I was the source of frequent irritation for my significant other, which, shall we say, did not exactly put a spring in my step.

True, I know the source of most of this irritation is not me but stress, which we have had by the truckload for months now. Though we love him dearly, the care and feeding of our increasingly decrepit Linus is wearing. Plus, we've both been just knocking ourselves out at work on a regular basis, and there's no end in sight.

Sigh.

Anyway, heading off to a comedy show under the emotional weather, I was understandably ambivalent about how it was all going to work. I wanted to try some new material, but didn't really have the time to test it out beforehand, thanks to my boycott of a certain convenient open mic that got my knickers in a serious knot.

What got my knickers knotted? They had begun charging comics for performing, for pity's sake--I know every performance space is short of money, but charging your performers is a mercenary bit of business, IMHO, and on par with bringer shows (in some clubs, you can perform at an open mic only if you "bring" six paying customers along), which are popularity contests, not comedy showcases. Good news: Rumor has it they have stopped hitting up the talent--I would be very happy if that was the case, for there are precious few places to test material in this neck of the woods, and eventually my coworkers will tire of being comic guinea pigs.

That said, I went up and did my usual material to great result, and even snuck in a little new stuff that didn't exactly wow, but showed promise. Happily, I had a DVD made, and now have a set that I can and will use to try to get more work, once I am free to pursue comedy work with abandon. (As long as Linus needs round-the-clock care, however, I will be only doing the minimum to keep my comic fires burning.)

And not only did I have a good set, but both Jennifer and I got a bunch of new dates from our friend Rick Jenkins. (Jennifer had an incredible set, too--that gal is comic force to contend with, let me tell you!)

So, even though I left home feeling a bit of a zero, I left The Studio feeling rather okay about it all.

And that, my friends, qualifies as progress in these parts.

No comments: