Sunday, August 27, 2006

High maintenance, high art

My life has had several recurrent themes, but one is up for me this Sunday: People who seem compelled to inform me of their superior way of doing things. Over and over. And over. Again.

When I don't ask for their advice. Or even suggest having trouble with the topic under advisement.

Don't most people know that unsolicited advice is a less-than-worthless commodity? Or am I one of the few people who has learned this the hard way--by being on the receiving end of truckloads of it?

This insistence on sharing one's "wisdom" is one thing; it can be a way of trying to make the other's life better. However, when the "wisdom" is shared it in such a way that suggests you must be (1) an idiot or (2) resistant to what's good for you/right/"natural"/P.C. is another.

Infuriating, in a word.

But I digress.....

We saw a performance of the Mark Morris dance group at the Pillow this weekend that was just breathtaking. It was moving, it was funny, it was just a delight, from beginning to end. (Okay, I wasn't mad about one piece, but there was far, far more to love than not.)

So, there was that.

And I have put together an expanded if not comprehensive calendar of upcoming comic events that gives me great hope for the fall--should be a hoot, if nothing else.

If my job doesn't completely sap my will to live. But I digress....

No comments: