Sunday, February 14, 2010

There's no place like home....

Have been back since late yesterday afternoon, and my, it is wonderful to be in my little ranch in Lesbianville. Woke up in the middle of last night disoriented to be in such a quiet, dark room, and then my dear Bombshell began snoring, and all was well.

Haven't had a chance to post, I'm happy to report, for I have been swept up in the attention of a wonderful array of women with short hair cuts and sensible shoes. Seriously, I have been blessed with a generous array of friends and church family who are watching over me something fierce.

It's a relief, for I had some "helpful" people suggest to me after Linda died that I should be careful, for caregivers often get ill once their work is done. Don't know what I was really supposed to do with that intel--not run out and try to get sick, as I had, uh, planned?--but such caveats left me wondering, "Well, if I do get sick, now that Linda's gone, who is going to take care of me?"

I needn't have worried. There's no end of dear hearts and gentle people waiting to help.

All things considered, I am one lucky gal.

In fact, offers of help are coming even farther afield. My cousin Mary offered to come out of retirement in the Carolinas (or is it Georgia?--how embarrassing, I don't even know) to tend to yours truly, which was sweet. She's a rip, and it would be a hoot to see her, but I do feel I'm covered but good with my local family.

What Mary also did, however, was offer what is without a doubt my favorite assessment of my situation. So, out of 100s of entries, the winner of the "How Would You Describe the Latest Development in Ann Podolske's Life?" contest is:

"You have had an extremely crummy year and this illness must seem like whipped cream on a shit sundae."

Hilarious! And it has the added kick for me of being a saying that was a favorite in my North Woods Wisconsin hometown many years ago. (The dairy reference being key.)

Just please, God, don't let there be any cherry on top.

Happy Valentine's Day from me and my blond shadow, A

No comments: