Saturday, October 10, 2009

Road trip tested!

Took my new wheels for their maiden "voyage" today, down to Cold Spring, NY to visit Father John and his missus. Until old age and infirmity made travel impossible, Fr. John was the leader of the spiritual retreats Linda and I used to go to in Connecticut (we met at one, too, as many of you know). The Padre is still a nut, which is something I like in my spiritual guides (naturally).

Also got to spend some time with a merry band of New Yorkers who also descended upon his home today, all people I have been on retreat with at one time or another. Such vibrant, loving, witty people--and very sweet about my gal (she would have loved today's excursion, and I thought of her often--esp. when someone said something slightly scandalous). Did me a world of good to see them all, and I am looking forward to getting back in the retreat swing of things as soon as I can.

Well, we had a small banquet of church food, for lack of a better way to put it--casseroles, potato salad, baked beans, the gamut. After that, we needed a walk, so we went to a local tourist destination called Boscobel, which featured a mansion, gardens and a breathtaking view of the Hudson River, including West Point. It was so gorgeous, I just sat and soaked it all in while my friends wandered through the gardens (I've seen a lot of gardens; stunning views of the Hudson? Not so much). It was the sort of spot that cries out for either painting or photography, and the latter was happening a lot--two large wedding parties had their photos taken while we were there.

What a sweet day! I not only had a grand time with my peeps in Cold Spring and taking in the sights, my new car was a joy to drive on this long-ish trip, esp. once I figured out how to turn up the volume of the nice lady who gives directions (she was so quiet, I could only hear her with the music off--that's just no way to drive!). The trip was almost three hours each way, and it went very, very smoothly. Might have to schedule a drive down to D.C. next--we shall see....

In case you're wondering, Shwea was taken care of quite beautifully by her primary during-the-week sitter while I was off joy riding. She acted as though I had been gone days, not hours, when I first arrived, but is now back in default snore mode. Methinks I should get to my own default mode soon, as I have church tomorrow and a bit of work to tend to, now that my roadtrip is behind me--but what a hoot it was!

No comments: