Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Crackpot Christians in the news....

Just when you think the regressive right's mouthpieces have gone about as far down the sanity scale as they can go, they make breathtaking leaps downward. Right now, I'm thinking of Pat Robertson's call for the assassination of Venezuela's Hugo Chavez, but by the time you read this, who knows what else may be on the call-me-crazy-I'm-a-Christian agenda? I think my comedy buddy Jennifer sums things up nicely, better still than a minister whose knickers were in a knot over the same thing.

Must be a day for such things. My dear Peace Corps soulmate Ed sent me a little item, courtesy of Dr. Dobson's "Focus on Family," that speaks of the homosexual agenda regarding children. After giving lip-service to the fact that homosexuals are not all pedophiles, the site proceeds to "expose" the homosexual agenda regarding man-boy sex--by quoting from that sick pup organization NAMBLA, the National Association of Man-Boy Love (I think). NAMBLA is to queers what the KKK is to real Christians, people. (Following Dobson's logic, the KKK's agenda must represent all Christians, for what other organization makes such a fetish of the cross?)

I certainly don't take my cues from NAMBLA, and as far as I can tell, neither do the vast majority of queers. But, of course, the Dobsons of the world can't make such fine distinctions, can they? It would put a damper on their hate-mongering, not to mention their fundraising.

Truly, the only thing on the page that really got my attention is the assertion that the gays were trying to infiltrate the Boy Scouts just as the lesbians had already infiltrated the Girl Scouts. They asserted that something on the order of 30% of troop leaders were lesbian.

Do I ever feel cheated. My scout leaders were straight ladies, through and through. Perhaps I would have stuck with scouting longer if a nice lesbian were in charge. Instead of the totally lame "sewing" and "cooking" badges, maybe I could have gotten a nice "smash the patriarchy" or "boys suck" badge or something.

Just my luck!

And you know, I am not proud of this fact, but I do not think highly of Lance Armstrong. While I know he surmounted tremendous odds to become a racing giant, there's something about ditching the wife and mother of his many kids for a pop star and something about his feral face--can't really put my finger on it--that put me off. Reading this article about his bike ride with W helped put some of my discomfort in perspective. Plus, what's not to love about calling this stunt Lance Armstrong's "Texas Toady Two-Step"?

Yes, I am a sucker for alliteration. Not proud of that fact, either.

1 comment:

Pat said...

How about everyone's favorite, Fred Phelps?

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/08/082305sweden.htm